|Whole farro on the left / farro perlato on the right|
- Soak in cold water for 8-24 hours
- Cover with cold water by 3 inches (no need to measure, but for every cup reconstituted grain, you want about 3 cups water)
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to very low. Season to taste with salt, cover, and cook for about an hour +/- 10 minutes. Grains will still be slightly chewy when done.
- Drain and use in hot or cold dishes.
Here are some good uses for these hearty, chewy grains:
- tossed with cold vegetables and vinaigrette for a salad
- tossed with softer grains or beans and some cooked onions and served hot
- added to soups