YouTube Link: Brown Chicken Stock
More Videos: Helen's Kitchen Channel
For 4-5 quarts stock
2 salt-free rotisserie chickens (Whole Foods carries them)
1 carrot in large chunks
1 onion in large chunks
1 celery stick in large chunks
10 sprigs of thyme (optional)
1-2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Break up the chickens into legs, wings, backs and breasts. Put everything except for breasts in to an 8 quart pot. Breasts are not really necessary, but if you don't have another use for them, you can add them in. Cover with water by 2-3 inches and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low.
- Skim off any foam that rises. Add the vegetables and aromatics and simmer gently for 3-5 hours.
- Cool slightly. Strain through a colander into a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes to let impurities settle. Thyme leaves will float, but the strainer will catch them.
- Strain into a 4 quart pot through a fine mesh strainer pouring slowly not to disturb the impurities on the bottom.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
- Skim off the fat and it's ready to use. Can be stored in the fridge for a week or frozen. I prefer to reduce it 4 times for more compact storage.